Everything You Need to Know About Weight Gainers
For many people, working out is about losing weight or getting into shape. For others, the goal is to pack on lean muscle to create the trim and cut physiques that make the best movie beach scenes. If you’re trying to add pounds of muscle to your frame, supplementing your workouts with weight gainers could be a healthy and nutritious solution!
What Is a Weight Gainer?
Although it would be easy to gain weight by eating doughnuts, ice cream, cake, and all the pasta you wanted, there is a right way and a wrong way to pack on the pounds. Weight gainers, also known as mass gainers, are protein supplements that assist people in putting on high-quality muscle mass in a healthy way. Rather than eating foods that are unhealthy and don’t provide any real nutritional value, weight gainers help increase a person’s caloric intake by adding dense protein to fuel muscles without drastically increasing the amount of fat.
Weight Gainer vs. Protein Supplement
Adding protein supplements to your diet by themselves won’t automatically make you gain the lean muscle that you’re craving. To achieve the results you’re looking for, it’s essential to understand the difference between mass gainers and protein supplements and why each has its benefits and rules to follow for best use.
Protein supplements alone won’t create the Baywatch-style body you’re dreaming of. It’s essential to combine protein supplements with adequate hydration, healthy sleep patterns, and a consistent, focused workout routine to see the results you are hoping for. In 2014, Sports Medicine published a review of various protein supplements. Research confirms that when protein supplements are added to your diet and consumed following a workout, you will likely see increased muscle growth as a result.
Although you can use protein supplements as weight gainers, it’s essential to recognize that the two products are incredibly different. The most significant difference between protein supplements and mass gainers is the amount of carbohydrates and fats. Protein powders are traditionally pure protein supplements, sometimes with added sweeteners or flavourings to improve the taste and texture. Protein supplements typically contain between 20 and 30 grams of protein in each serving and are low in fats and carbohydrates.
Mass gainers feature protein with the addition of carbohydrates and fats to increase the number of calories. You can find the added carbs in added sugars, such as glucose and maltodextrin. When shopping for protein supplements, it’s typical to see between 80 and 120 calories per serving. Weight gainers, however, can have over 2,000 calories. Mass gainers also frequently add other supplements, such as essential amino acids and other nutrients.
When you think of gaining weight, you’re probably not trying to gain fat. However, mass gainers are typically higher in fat because fat is high in calories. Although fat tends to get a bad rap, it’s vital for proper health and is responsible for encouraging correct growth as well as nutrient absorption. Weight gainers frequently have between five and 30 grams of fat, which is a drastic change when compared to whey protein supplements, which usually contain less than two grams of fat per serving.
Common Misconceptions About Mass Gainers
As with most things in life, there are misconceptions about mass gainers and protein supplements that overshadow the truth. Fortunately, the Supplement Superstore team is here to set the record straight.
- Will weight gainers make me fat? The short answer here is no. Mass gainers should not make you fat. However, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. When using mass gainers, it’s essential to remember that no one built Toronto in a day, and your gains won’t be built that quickly, either. If you force yourself to consume high amounts of protein, calories, and fat at every meal to gain muscle, you’ll probably end up gaining fat instead. To be successful with mass gainers, be sure to track your calories, eat plenty of whole, natural foods, and incorporate strength training and cardio into your workouts. Last but not least, be patient.
- Do mass gainers have side effects? The chance of experiencing side effects exists for practically every type of product on the market, and mass gainers are no exception. Side effects can include too much weight gain, a lack of essential nutrients found in traditional whole, natural foods, and issues associated with anabolic steroids — if your chosen mass gainer contains any of these ingredients. Also, mass gainers can cause a variety of gastrointestinal problems such as indigestion and bloat. If you’re particularly susceptible to intestinal issues, take additional care when adding weight gainers to your diet. When depending on mass gainers to increase your weight, it’s also essential to thoroughly read the ingredients list for sugars and other vital additions. Although it’s no secret that weight gainers include sugar, relying on them for too long can lead to gaining too much weight. People using mass gainers should also be sure to incorporate plenty of wholesome foods to ensure they are getting all of their essential vitamins and nutrients in addition to high levels of protein and carbohydrates. Anabolic steroids are also frequent additions to mass gainers and can cause liver damage, acne, mood swings, and hair loss.
- Who should use weight gainers? Although weight gainers are a versatile way to incorporate additional calories and protein into your diet, these protein supplements are most frequently used by athletes and those looking to gain weight for medical reasons. Athletes use mass gainers to increase muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories, is denser than fat, and can help provide the energy needed for performing at more intense levels than other protein supplements. Weight gainers are also used by people who suffer from illnesses that cause weight loss, such as cancer and Parkinson’s. Cancer patients may suffer from weight loss when going through treatment, and weight gainers can be instrumental in ensuring weight loss is something that patients can control.
Our Favourite Weight Gainers
Although there are hundreds of protein supplements and weight gainers on the market today, a few stand out to our staff at Supplement Superstore.
- Mutant Mass: Mutant Mass is specifically for the most intense weightlifters and bodybuilders on the planet. This Mutant Mass formula has undergone a variety of improvements. It now includes 52% less sugar as well as 56 grams of high-quality protein, over 1,100 calories, 192 grams of clean carbs, and 36 grams of natural BCAAs, glutamine, and EAAs. The Mutant Mass recipe also includes oats, avocado, coconut oil, and sweet potato for a mix of whole foods and essential fatty acids. Each 15-pound container comes in four flavours: triple chocolate, chocolate fudge brownie, vanilla ice cream, and cookies and cream. The protein supplement boasts a formula that tastes excellent, is easy to mix, “and all the other great stuff we rave about when referring to Mutant Mass that comes from countless years of researching, developing, and re-booting our already multi-award winning formula to truly make it even better.”
- Perfect Sports Hulk: Hulk by Perfect Sports prides itself on providing over 1,000 calories per serving for supporting your desire to get swole. Each serving contains 60 grams of protein and 10 grams of amino acids. A collection of carefully selected, nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables, including coconut, banana, carrot, mango, cabbage, corn, spinach, and kale provide a broad spectrum of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Hulk contains both slow- and fast-releasing proteins that supply your body with muscle-building protein to help support your goals. The Hulk formula is gluten-free, contains only two grams of natural sugar, and comes in a three- or ten-pound container in chocolate fudge brownie or vanilla ice cream. If you’re looking for a product that is allergen-friendly, you’ll be happy to know that Perfect Sports manufactures Hulk in a cGMP facility that is not only Health Canada licensed, but is also 100% peanut- and nut-free.
- Allmax QuickMass: Allmax has made updates to its industry-leading formula without sacrificing the research-based formula customers have come to know and love. QuickMass now contains 60% less sugar, a variety of complex carbohydrates, and a proven three-to-one carb to protein ratio. QuickMass is also 100% free of artificial dyes and colours and features 100% whole proteins with no non-protein amino acids. Each serving of QuickMass contains 1,010 calories and 64 grams of sustained-release protein. While some brands include the calories added from mixing the product with milk, Allmax mixes perfectly with water for a taste that’s even more refreshing and delicious. Purchase a 12-pound container in one of four flavours: chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream, or chocolate peanut butter.
- Rivalus Clean Gainer: One of the key selling points that Rivalus prides itself on is the promise of no banned substances. When you’re an athlete competing at a high level, ensuring you know exactly what you’re putting into your body is critical. One serving of Clean Gainer by Rivalus provides 560 calories, 30 grams of a dairy protein blend, and 90 grams of an eight-source complex carbohydrate blend. The formula contains only eight grams of sugar and includes essential fats from sunflower, avocado, and flax oils. Rivalus recommends users take Clean Gainer after workouts or before bed for the best results. Choose from a five-pound container or size up to a ten-pound container, each in one of four flavours: S’mores, chocolate peanut butter, creamy vanilla, or chocolate fudge.
How to Add Weight Gainers to My Diet
Once you decide that you want to add a weight gainer to your diet, it’s crucial to create a plan for how to integrate it into your routine for maximum effectiveness. Although it may be tempting to go big or go home, unless you want to run the risk of being stuck in the bathroom all day, we recommend starting small.
One of the great things about mass gainers is the ability to find a variety of different formulas that suit your needs. There are several options available that will provide the flexibility you desire to help you find the best routine for your lifestyle. Here are some of our favourite tips and tricks for how to incorporate weight gainers into your life with as little frustration as possible.
- Decide when you want to take your weight gainer. If you intend to take the mass gainer as a meal replacement or couple it with a protein supplement, make sure you’re timing your consumption appropriately so that your body can utilize the energy as effectively as possible. For using a weight gainer as a pre- or post-workout protein supplement, ensure that the mass gainer you’ve chosen contains a higher amount of carbohydrates coupled with low-fat content. Consuming fast-acting carbohydrates in the time immediately surrounding your workouts helps to feed your muscles and reach your goals.
- Kill two birds with one stone. Another perk of weight gainers is their ability to reduce the overall number of protein supplements and vitamins you’re taking. If you add a mass gainer to your diet, you won’t need to consume a straight protein supplement unless you choose a mass gainer with a lower calorie count. In addition to protein supplements, adding a weight gainer can also eliminate the need for creatine supplements due to the higher levels in most mass gainers. You’ll also enjoy improved recovery times thanks to the addition of L-glutamine in many varieties of weight gainers.
At Supplement Superstore, our passion is to provide our customers with everything they need to take control of their health and wellness. The protein supplements and weight gainers we sell at Supplement Superstore conform to the Canadian health laws and are hand-selected to meet the highest standards. Our team never sells any product that we haven’t tried ourselves.
Whether you’re new to the gym life and you’re shopping for your first protein supplement, or you’re a professional athlete stocking up on your favourite mass gainers, Supplement Superstore is here to make your experience great. Browse our selection of featured products, shop our collection of accessories, or learn more about our top secrets to supplements by visiting our blog!