Homemade Health Supplement Smoothie Recipe
Health supplements are an excellent way to bridge nutritional gaps in your diet and ensure you’re giving your body all the necessary micro and macronutrients needed to meet your goals. Whether you’re trying to lose weight or gain muscles, health supplements can help you get there.
One common complaint from people about incorporating health supplements into their diet is that they don’t like the taste or texture. Protein powders and other supplement flavours have come a long way since the days of those shakes with the terrible texture and aftertaste. They can taste delicious, but there is often an adjustment period for people who are just starting to take supplements.
Making Protein Shakes Homemade Can Help
A great solution for anyone that struggles with the taste or texture of protein powders and other health supplements is homemade protein shakes. They also make excellent meal replacements or nutrient-dense snacks for people who love their health supplements as is but have a little extra time or need to include more nutrients to hit their goals.
How to make Homemade Protein Shakes
Making your protein shakes homemade is easier than you might think.
What you need for a Protein Shake:
- a blender
- a base liquid like water, juice, your favourite milk, or milk alternative
- the health supplements you’d like to incorporate
You can add all kinds of extras to suit your flavour preferences and nutrition goals. To make a single serving, always start with about ten to twelve ounces of your base liquid and your health supplements. For our homemade protein shakes, we always include at least half of a banana.
The banana adds in the sweetness without having to add a sweetener. We encourage even those who don’t love the banana flavour to it, as you generally can’t taste the banana flavour. Without any further ado, here are our favourite ways to make protein shakes homemade.
Passion for Greens Health Supplement Smoothie
This homemade protein shake is a bright green, tart, and sweet party in your mouth!
- 10 oz liquid (we like soy milk for the protein)
- 1 scoop of your favourite vanilla or unflavoured protein powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
- ¼ cup frozen chopped kale
- ½ cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen passion fruit chunks
- optional add ins: flax seeds, chia seeds, maca powder, matcha powder, greens supplements, etc.
Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
Peanut Butter Cup Health Smoothie
Peanut butter lovers can have some homemade protein shakes, too!
- 10 oz liquid (again, we like soy milk)
- Optional ice cubes
- 1 scoop of your favourite chocolate protein powder
- 1 whole banana
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp PB2
- Optional add-ins: flax seeds, MCT oil, etc.
Add all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
Coffee Lovers Homemade Protein Shake
Do you need a protein shake but also need to squeeze in your morning java? Try this recipe with your health supplements.
10 oz cold brew or room temperature drip coffee
Optional ice cubes
1 scoop of your favourite vanilla protein powder
1 whole banana
A splash of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
Optional add-ins: chia seeds, maca powder, cocoa nibs, etc.
Add all of the ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.
Berry Blast Protein Shake
If you think of mixed berries when you think of a smoothie, you can add your favourite health supplements into that sweet, antioxidant-filled juice!
- 10 oz 100% fruit juice
- 1 scoop of your favourite vanilla, berry, or unflavoured protein powder
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup of frozen chopped spinach
- Optional add-ins: chia seeds, flax seeds, your favourite health supplements, etc.
Add all the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
Pina Colada Protein Smoothie
Coconut lovers will be thrilled with this healthy twist on the tropical beverage.
- 10 oz full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
- 1 banana
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 scoop of your favourite vanilla or coconut protein powder
- Optional ice cubes
- Optional add-ins: chia seeds, health supplements, etc.
Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until it is smooth.
The Indulgent Homemade Protein Shake
We saved the best for last; this sucker is for all those people who would like to have their sweet treats but also incorporate their functional foods and supplements to stay on track for reaching their goals. This protein shake is a sweet treat, but it’s got some heavy-hitting nutrients as well!
- 9 oz milk or milk alternative
- 1 oz heavy cream or heavy cream alternative
- 1 splash of pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ banana
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 2-4 loosely broken up Oreo cookies
- Optional add-ins: cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, whipped cream for topping, etc.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until the smoothie reaches your desired consistency.
- Top your smoothie with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, and crushed Oreo cookies. Sometimes you just need a protein smoothie that tastes like an Oreo milkshake to help satisfy cravings and help with diet adherence!
We’re not afraid of a little indulgence around here. Everything in moderation, right?
The more you experiment with your health supplements in homemade smoothie recipes, the more comfortable you will become. Find out what creates your ideal flavours and throw things in the blender to see what works. Use your creativity, and don’t be afraid to make your health supplements taste better with additional fruits and sweeteners. Of course, the only way your supplements will work is if you actually use them!