Top Five Low Carb Snacks for the Keto Diet
The keto diet is well known for helping people kick their weight loss into high gear. Research on the clinical results of following the keto diet is relatively short-term and limited. Still, when you cut carbs, you significantly reduce your calorie intake, so logically it leads to weight loss as long as you keep it up!
If you talk to people who follow this diet, you’re bound to hear about how easy people find it, but you know what’s not easy? Snacking without carbs! That’s why we put together a list of our top five low-carb snack recipes for the keto diet!
1. Low-Carb Snack for a Sweet Tooth
Keto Diet Brownies
- 3 eggs
- 10 tbsp butter
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- ¾ cup stevia or keto diet-friendly sweetener of choice
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius as you prepare a 9x9 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the butter and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring between, until fully melted.
- Combine the almond flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, espresso powders, and stevia in another bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs for about thirty seconds. Add the melted butter and chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just mixed. Don’t over mix the batter.
- Spread the mix into your prepared pan and place in the oven for 18-20 minutes. Enjoy!
You might be thinking that desserts are out of the question when you’re dieting, but that’s not the case! These rich brownies are a fudgy and delicious sweet treat. Perfect for when your sweet tooth is acting up, but you don’t want to mess up your keto diet!
2. Keto Diet Friendly Savoury Snack
Low-Carb Snack Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius as you prepare a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine almond flour, salt, baking powder, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and sour cream with the butter. Mix well.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined.
- Fold in the shredded cheese.
- Scoop the mix into the muffin pan and bake for 18-22 minutes until the biscuits are golden on top.
Savoury snacks are admittedly easier to find on the keto diet, but that doesn’t mean you should sleep on these snacks! You also have the option to melt some additional butter and drizzle it on top of the muffins. These little balls of cheesy goodness are best served warm.
3. Low-Carb Snack for On-the-Go
Keto Snack Balls
- 1 ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- Using a food processor, blend the almonds until they’re finely ground.
- Add the coconut, flax meal, and salt to the food processor and pulse a few times until combined.
- Add the peanut butter, syrup, vanilla, and pulse until combined.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the mixture, then use your hands to roll out the mix into 1-inch balls. Store in the fridge.
The trickiest time to snack on the keto diet is when you’re on the go. You can solve this problem by making some low-carb snack balls ahead of time and popping them in your bag before you leave for the day! Problem solved.
4. Keto Diet Chips
Everything Seasoned Cheesy Chips
- Shredded cheddar cheese or a blend of choice
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 204 degrees Celsius. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the shredded cheese into 1 to 2-inch circles, spaced about an inch apart. Sprinkle the cheese with seasoning before placing it in the oven for about 5 minutes or until they are flat and crisp.
- Carefully pour or dab excess oil away as soon as you can. Wait until cooled to enjoy.
Potato chips are a universal love language, but they’re most definitely not a low-carb snack food. If you’re on the keto diet and can’t kick your craving for potato chips, give these crunchy, cheesy bites a try.
5. Low-Carb Snack for Extra Protein
Low-Carb Snack Bites
- 1 big cucumber, sliced evenly
- 2 cups cooked and shredded or cubed chicken breast
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- ¼ cup onion. diced
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Combine the cream cheese and sour cream in a bowl.
- Add the chicken, celery, and onions. Mix well.
- Spread the cucumbers out on a tray and top each slice with a scoop of the chicken salad. Top with seasonings of choice.
In addition to snacking being a challenge while you’re doing keto, eating enough protein can be another pain point. If you require more protein for the day, these yummy low-carb snack bites are the perfect way to get it.
The keto diet is an excellent way to lose weight, but as with all diets, it’s not without its challenges. Snacking is one of those challenges. It’s no secret that low-carb snacks aren’t always fun or filling, but you’re sure to find something for any situation with these five recipes that will keep you feeling satisfied.