Top Ten Creatine Supplements
If you've been struggling to meet your fitness goals, we totally get it. Sometimes you need a little boost to help you get through all those tough workouts. Creatine could be the answer to your wishes. We've got all the benefits of creatine supplements and our top ten favourites covered so you can decide if it's the right fit for your health journey.
What is Creatine?
Creatine is a naturally occurring substance in your body made from amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Protein is important when it comes to working out since your body needs it to function well. Creatine is produced in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. About 95% of it is found in your muscles, while the rest is located in the brain, heart, and testes. Its purpose is to build muscle strength and help muscles recover after exercise.
In the 1970s, scientists discovered that taking creatine supplements could enhance physical performance. By the 1990s, it had become a popular sports supplement among high school, college, and professional athletes. Over the years, people have continued to use creatine supplements to improve their physical health and stamina.
Benefits of Creatine Supplements
Creatine supplements must be pretty amazing since Hugh Jackman used them to prepare for his role as the Wolverine. So, what can you expect to gain from adding it to your fitness routine? The main benefits of creatine supplements are:
- improved strength
- increased muscle mass
- quicker muscle recovery
- improved exercise performance
- reduced risk of health problems
- improved brain function
Creatine Supplements for Strength
If you want to be as strong as possible, creatine supplements are a good place to start. They help you gain muscle since they increase your muscle's phosphocreatine stores. Phosphocreatine helps form adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the main molecule your cells use for energy and all basic life functions. When you exercise, ATP breaks down to produce more energy. The rate that APA resynthesizes can limit your ability to continually perform at max intensity since you use it faster than you produce it. A major benefit of creatine supplements is that they increase your phosphate stores while producing more energy from ATP to fuel your muscles. Producing extra ATP will help you power through the last few minutes of that high-intensity workout.
Creatine Supplements for Increased Muscle Mass
Since creatine gives you the ability to get the most out of your workout, it's no surprise it can help you build your muscles. Creatine supplements may alter several different cellular pathways that lead to new muscle growth. For example, they can boost the formation of proteins that create new muscle fibres. Creatine also decreases levels of myostatin in your body, a molecule responsible for stunting muscle growth. Once you reduce myostatin with a creatine supplement, your muscles will start to build faster.
It can take as few as five to seven days to start showing a significant increase in lean body weight and muscle size. The initial rise in your muscles is caused by an increase in water content. In the long run, it aids in muscle fibre growth since it signals key biological pathways and boosts performance at the gym.
Muscle Recovery and Creatine
There's nothing worse than struggling to walk upstairs even though leg day was last week or having to take time off from training to heal an injured body part. Not only do creatine supplements help you while you're sprinting on the treadmill, but they also assist in muscle healing after workouts. In addition to supporting recovery after a tough workout, creatine can help conditions where muscle weakness occurs.
Some conditions it can help with are:
- muscular dystrophy
- Huntington's disease
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- myasthenia graves
- McArdle's disease
- Parkinson's disease
Improved Exercise Performance with Creatine
Creatine supplements are best known for their incredible ability to power you through any workout. They’re most beneficial for our readers who train vigorously, but if you're just getting started on your fitness journey, creatine can be great for improving stamina. It's especially effective during bursts of intense exercise. Creatine's direct role in producing ATP means it can drastically improve high-intensity performance. Plus, an amazing benefit of creatine supplements is that they help with fatigue resistance. When you can work out for a longer period of time without getting burned out, you'll start to see your fitness goals come to life before you know it.
Fighting Health Problems with Creatine
Creatine supplements can do more than just power you through that HIIT workout class or heavy weight-lifting session. They can also aid in other areas of your physical health. One of the other ways creatine can help you be your best self is by reducing your risk for heart-related illnesses. Research has shown that after just one week of using a creatine supplement, people with heart problems experienced increased energy-rich phosphagens and muscle performance.
Another benefit of creatine supplements is that they may lower blood sugar levels and fight diabetes. They do this by increasing the function of glucose transporter type four (GLUT-4), a molecule that brings blood sugar into your muscles. The more sugar your body can clear from the blood, the better.
Creatine Supplements for Improved Brain Function
You can use creatine supplements to keep your brain as healthy as your body. Studies show that using creatine can increase dopamine levels, making you happier! A happy mind is a healthy mind, are we right? Decreased levels of creatine in the brain have been linked to higher levels of anxiety. If a lack of creatine prevents you from being your best self, a creatine supplement is what you need.
Our Top Ten Creatine Supplements
Now that you know all the wonderful benefits of creatine supplements, you're probably ready to get your hands on some. We have a wide selection of supplement brands to choose from, but our top ten best-sellers are:
1. ALLMAX Creatine Monohydrate: Creatine monohydrate is the most studied nutrition supplement in the world; no wonder it's so popular! When you use this creatine supplement by Allmax, you can expect to feel your endurance and strength increase by up to 30%. This supplement will expand your cells' size, increase blood flow to the area, and delay fatigue for longer and more powerful workouts. In addition to helping you work out for longer, this supplement will provide support once your exercise is over.
This ALLMAX supplement is made up of 100% pure micro-ironized creatine. You won't have to worry about the ingredients harming your body since this supplement is lab-tested and approved. ALLMAX uses a Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) and a 5-stage quality guarantee to assure you get the best supplement possible. You can add it to any of your favourite pre-workout or protein shakes since it's unflavoured.
2. Fusion Purple K Creatine: The Fusion Purple K Creatine supplement stands out among the rest since it utilizes buffered creatine that supports maximum power and performance. Acids can build up in your muscles when you work out, causing pH changes and triggering muscle failure. This supplement willprevent creatine breakdown by supplying your body with a pH-balanced formula. This pH-based formula will help increase endurance and energy. Another benefit of creatine supplements like this one is that they will also enhance your muscle pumps and provide explosive strength for those extra-heavy weight-lifting sessions.
Fusion Bodybuilding's ingredients are expertly dosed; they'll give you the exact formula you need to meet your goals. Purple K Creatine is Canada's number one selling creatine capsule with heavily researched formulas. These supplements are made in a cGMP factory, so you know your products are meeting quality standards. Don't forget that this supplement is vegan-friendly!
3. ANS Performance Creatine HCL: As mentioned before, the amount of creatine in your body has a major impact on your fitness goals. The Creatine HCL by ANS Performance will support your body's creatine production and power you through any workout. Creatine HCL has high solubility, which helps promote better digestion of the supplement. When you take this supplement, you won't experience cramping, bloating, or water retention. A benefit of creatine supplement capsules is that they are quick and easy to take.
The ANS Performance Creatine HCL contains a pharmaceutical-grade dose of 750 milligrams of creatine HCL. If you're using it as a dietary supplement, take one capsule about thirty minutes to an hour prior to training. Be sure to take it with about four to six ounces of water. You can take this creatine supplement with food, on an empty stomach, or with other supplements. On days you're not hitting the gym, you can help your muscles recover by consuming one serving of the supplement per 100 pounds of body weight.
4. EFX Sports KRE-Alkalyn Creatine: Using the Kre-Alkalyn EFX creatine supplement by EFX Sports is a great way to add more strength and energy to your daily routine. It is pH-correct, so you won't have to worry about your levels being unbalanced. Many traditional creatine supplements break down the acidity of your digestive system, which prevents them from supplying your body with all the things it needs to be its best. This supplement is designed to allow your body to use it more effectively over time without needing higher doses.
Kre-Alkayln was actually invented by a sports scientist, Dr. Jeff Bolini. He created this supplement to help athletes gain even more benefits from creatine. This supplement's formula is informed sports certified and clinically proven, so you feel good about the ingredients you're putting in your body.
5. PVL Creapure Creatine: The PVL CreaPure Creatine has been a popular choice for athletes worldwide since 1996. PVL utilizes 100% pure pharmaceutical grade creatine that is nano-micronized for the smallest particles possible. Small particles allow the mixture to have a higher uptake and solubility. PVL CreaPure Creatine is Informed-Choice certified, meaning it is a clean and safe product to consume. It's unflavoured so that you can add it to any of your favourite drinks!
6. Perfect Sports Pure Creatine Monohydrate: Creatine powder can leave some people with cramping, bloating, and other stomach issues. The Pure Creatine Monohydrate by Perfect Sports eliminates the issues that can come with consuming creatine in powder form. This creatine supplement has microparticles for easy absorption of creatine without any negative side-effects after. You will start to see an increase in lean muscle mass as you incorporate this product into your daily routine.
Perfect Sports recommends mixing 5 grams (or one scoop) of this unflavoured creatine per 250 milliliters (or one cup) of cold water. When you're first taking the supplement, take it three to four times a day for one week during the loading phase. After the first week, start taking it once a day for four to six weeks.
7. Mammoth Supplements Mammoth Creatine Monohydrate: The Mammoth Creatine Monohydrate by Mammoth Supplements is a must-have for anyone striving to build stronger muscles. With this supplement, you will notice an improved performance at the gym, more strength, and quicker recovery time after working out. You won't have to worry about a weird texture in your pre-workout when you take it; it mixes into drinks easily without feeling gritty. Tons of supplements can leave you with a sandy feeling in your mouth, but not the Mammoth Supplements creatine! Plus, if you struggle to stomach fruity-flavoured supplements, fear no more. The formula of this creatine supplement is odorless and tasteless.
8. HD Muscle Crea-HD: Attention vegan readers: this one is for you! The Crea-HD by HD Muscle is made with 100% vegan ingredients. It also features Creapure, a creatine monohydrate highly regarded for its quality, purity, and consistency.
This supplement's suggested use is to mix one serving (five grams) with four to six ounces of water or juice. Consume it first thing in the morning and after your workout. On days when you're not training, only consume a serving first thing in the morning.
9. Magnum Big C: The Big C creatine supplement by Magnum is made to fit everyone's needs and improve their health in more ways than bulking up at the gym. Traditional creatine products can take a lot of time to absorb within the body. When you absorb it faster, you will have less water retention. Big C contains only fast and easy absorbing creatine, so you won't have to worry about looking bloated or retaining water.
This supplement contains a mix of ginseng and astragalus. These two ingredients can combine to produce a major reduction in body fat and an increase in strength. Magnum recommends taking five capsules of this creatine supplement before and after your workout.
Creatine HCL by ANS Performance will bring you closer to your health and fitness goals. It doesn't force you to retain any water, so you won't experience bloating. You can expect to gain muscle mass, strength, and energy from this supplement. This blend of creatine supplement is bound hydrochloric acid, which increases solubility, letting it break down faster in your body. If you want to micro-dose with it, you can, due to its concentration.
We hope that you feel confident to tackle all your fitness goals with a great creatine supplement by your side. Identify your needs, take a look at our collection, and watch your health flourish.